Brief history of Paraty

Paraty was founded approximately in the 1500´s. The First settlement was on the Fort Hill, where a chapel dedicated to St. Roque was built. Around 1640 the prosperous settlement was transferred downhill to its present location. Its greatest urban development took place during the 17th and 18th centuries, due the trail opened through the mountain range linking the states of Minas Gerais and São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro during the so-called Gold Cycle. The port of Paraty was then the second most important among all others in Brazil, mainly because of its strategic location. It was considered a State Historical Monument in 1945 and classified as National Historical Monument in1966. In the 80´s with a new federal road (Rio-Santos) Paraty regained its prosperity: Tourism as a new cycle on account of its preserved architectural ensemble, tropical forest, 65 islands and its more than 300 beaches as well.